Summer (School) Lovin'

Lately I have been having some issue with making decisions quickly. I don’t have much time left before my scheduled advisor appointment to construct my new schedule for fall, and all the time I keep wondering if I should go ahead and take summer classes as well. I have kind of messed myself up by not taking 15 hours my first 2 semesters. I have been taking 12 hours a semester because that is considered full time and to me 12 hours is plenty. If I go ahead and take 2 classes this summer I will be considered a sophomore and ideally that’s what I want.

The only problem is that I really like summer vacation. I love camping, kayaking, concerts, road trips, beer drinking bbq’s…summer just isn’t summer without these things. Summer school sucks because you have to go 5 days a week due to its acceleration. Another drawback is that I live in Mount Vernon, so unless I can take online classes or DVD classes, I really don’t want to drive to Joplin 5 days a week. So as you can see I am definitely leaning towards not taking summer classes.

The inner struggle is that I know that I need to. If I go and get it over with, I will be that much closer to accomplishing my goal. I have financial aid for the summer, so I really don’t have any excuses in that department. Also, I really don’t want to drag out being called a “freshman” any longer. Two semesters of that is enough. It would be nice to return in the fall and have a newly acquired “sophomore” status.

I guess I’m more concerned with what I may miss out on if I have to go to school this summer. I’m certain I will miss parties, vacations, concerts…all of the things I love. I’m just at a place where I have to weight the advantages against the disadvantages. There are plenty of advantages to taking the summer off, but I keep coming back to the biggest advantage of them all…BEING DONE WITH SCHOOL! Obviously, the more classes I take, the sooner I will be done with my “college experience.” I can’t wait to be done with school and I’m only a freshman, that’s probably not a good sign.

Anyways, I have been debating this topic with myself a lot lately and I keep changing my mind. It’s like I have a scholastic angel on one shoulder and the summer lovin’ devil on the other. The angel tells me to be a good girl and take summer school and the devil tells me taking summer school will certainly force me to miss a Dave Matthews concert, and I cannot/will not stand for that.

Since I couldn’t really think of anything to write about persuasively, this is your chance to persuade me to do one or the other. What are you doing this summer? Any advice for me? Should I be good and take summer school, or take the summer off for a little sin and debauchery?

Comments

  1. Oh, Jennifer, I am in the same boat as you are. I love summer vacation too and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. I'll probably take two classes even though I really don't want to. But the more hours you take the less you have to do later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would seriously consider taking the classes this summer, if not the on campus ones then at least the the distance learning. It sucks to get behind and you don't catch up with summer it means that you will serious have to double up your workload later one. From personal experience this isn't the best idea because you dont want to be taking multiple upper level classes at once, it completely sucks all your time. Also, classes in the summer are usually easier and everyone is more laid back then when the official year starts, and it isn't like you would lose your whole summer you still have nights and weekends and the part of July and August. My advice would be to take it and get it over with so that you really can get out as soon as possible. The whole procrastination thing will come back to bite you in the butt I promise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment