Solve for Frustration
I try to keep my blog a complain-free zone, but recently I have had a few things bothering me that I couldn’t resist as subject matter. Today I wish to complain about math. I suppose my major complain is more specifically related as to why I am required to take college algebra.
Currently, I am enrolled in Math 20. Or as I like to call it, algebra class for morons. Don’t take offense if you are in this class, we can be algebraic morons together. I love my professor, Dr. Laura Adkins; if you are yet to take your algebra classes I HIGHLY recommend you enroll in her classes. She is a breath of fresh air…also, very understanding and patient to the mathematically challenged. At the moment we are graphing equations and y-intercepts and calculating slopes etc. etc. blah blah blah. The subject matter really isn’t even that difficult, I find myself complaining because this is just class 20. I have to pass this class just to get into another math reject class before I can finally get into college algebra.
I hate to complain and use the same generic gripe that people have been saying for years, but honestly, “When AM I ever going to use this stuff?” I am 33 and have so far never used it a day in my life. Or if I have, I did it without knowing. However, I’m pretty sure I have never been fooled into calculating the slope of anything: A.) I wouldn’t know how and B.) That would be a pretty hard trick to disguise. If this is what I’m learning in class 20 and know that I won’t use this knowledge, why in the world must I take 2 more classes of this nonsense?
I don’t want to be a mathematician, doctor/nurse, or scientist. If my major closely resembled any of those fields I would understand why they would want to put me through soooooo much torture. I think I would benefit far more from a class that taught me how the stock market works or how to tell the difference between an IRA and a Roth IRA and which one would be better for me. I just need to know practical math, that’s all.
I understand the concept of all knowledge is good knowledge and grasping algebraic ideals make us more well rounded individuals, but I think required completion of that level of algebra is pushing it a little for non-science majors. How do you feel on this matter? Am I just whining too much, or do you tend to agree with me?
At least the semester is almost over and I only have one more reject class before I can take college algebra. The sooner I can get it completed the better. I just wish upon a star I can continue to get Mrs. Adkins from here on out. She’s the only part of algebra that I actually enjoy!
Currently, I am enrolled in Math 20. Or as I like to call it, algebra class for morons. Don’t take offense if you are in this class, we can be algebraic morons together. I love my professor, Dr. Laura Adkins; if you are yet to take your algebra classes I HIGHLY recommend you enroll in her classes. She is a breath of fresh air…also, very understanding and patient to the mathematically challenged. At the moment we are graphing equations and y-intercepts and calculating slopes etc. etc. blah blah blah. The subject matter really isn’t even that difficult, I find myself complaining because this is just class 20. I have to pass this class just to get into another math reject class before I can finally get into college algebra.
I hate to complain and use the same generic gripe that people have been saying for years, but honestly, “When AM I ever going to use this stuff?” I am 33 and have so far never used it a day in my life. Or if I have, I did it without knowing. However, I’m pretty sure I have never been fooled into calculating the slope of anything: A.) I wouldn’t know how and B.) That would be a pretty hard trick to disguise. If this is what I’m learning in class 20 and know that I won’t use this knowledge, why in the world must I take 2 more classes of this nonsense?
I don’t want to be a mathematician, doctor/nurse, or scientist. If my major closely resembled any of those fields I would understand why they would want to put me through soooooo much torture. I think I would benefit far more from a class that taught me how the stock market works or how to tell the difference between an IRA and a Roth IRA and which one would be better for me. I just need to know practical math, that’s all.
I understand the concept of all knowledge is good knowledge and grasping algebraic ideals make us more well rounded individuals, but I think required completion of that level of algebra is pushing it a little for non-science majors. How do you feel on this matter? Am I just whining too much, or do you tend to agree with me?
At least the semester is almost over and I only have one more reject class before I can take college algebra. The sooner I can get it completed the better. I just wish upon a star I can continue to get Mrs. Adkins from here on out. She’s the only part of algebra that I actually enjoy!
I just wanted to say I completely agree with you on this. I am currently taking Math 30. Just like you, I am taking this just to just have to take yet another algebra class. What irritates me is I could have tested out of both of these classes but was a scardy cat. So I completely understand where you are coming from.
ReplyDeleteDon't feel bad.. When I was told about the Math requirement, i opted to test out..I did but they (my advisor) felt compelled to enroll me in Math 130...Needless to say, I dropped it and will just take regular algebra. It is not like i will need it in the future for anything useful.
ReplyDelete