Goodbye Summer...Hello Speeches :(

This week I have decided to write a follow-up to last week’s blog. I recently met with my advisor and I have decided to take two classes this summer. I thought that was what was probably going to happen. Realistically, it’s what needed to be done. So there really weren’t any big surprises in the area of scheduling.

Have you ever noticed that when you go in to meet with your advisor, no mater what you have mapped out in your brain, something always changes! You can meticulously go over your degree requirement sheet and have the perfect schedule planned out and then…BAM…something has to go and mess it up. My personal least favorite is when you know for a fact what professor you want and the class is listed as “full.” It’s as if everyone on campus knows that’s the one class you want and everyone wants to enroll in that class before you can. It’s enough to drive you crazy at times!

Another classic scheduling mishap is when you want to take the latter part of a course. If I have to take a literature and history class, I really want to take the most current era that subject covers. For example, for literature I really wanted Eng 282 American Lit. However, in reality, if you got that course you severely lucked out and should be thanking your lucky stars. I got placed into world literature…hey, at least I didn’t get British lit, I would never survive.

On the history front, I think I actually ended up getting the 1877-present, which is probably a good thing for me. The trick with getting that class is that I had to enroll in a DVD class. Have you ever had one of those? If not, let me tell you, they are awesome! I can see how they wouldn’t be ideal for every student, but for me they are a complete lifesaver. You can watch the recorded lecture while you enjoy your morning cup of coffee in your jammies. Now that’s higher education.

And last, but certainly not least…we come to a little class known as public speaking. I have put it off long enough. Honestly, if I could delay it, I would. The very thought of writing speeches and presenting them to a class of 18-20 year olds makes me cringe. I’m not a good public speaker and I’m a very nervous person by nature. My advisor has assured me that taking it in the summer will be like ripping a band-aid off swiftly. Let’s hope she is correct in saying this. I hope it goes smoothly and at least I will get it over with.

I’m actually going to miss this class. I really enjoyed Professor Chism and I like that I have gotten to know the majority of my classmates better. The blogs can seem daunting at times, but I would much rather be writing these blogs than writing and presenting speeches, that much I can promise you!

Comments