Not A Good Week For Sophie



This has been a very bad week for my 5-year-old niece, Sophie. On her birthday of all days, she was sent home from school with a very bad rash. Her mom picked her up from school and drove her to her pediatrician’s office. After some extensive lab work they found out that she had a MRSA Staph infection. Poor Sophie :(
They aren’t exactly sure where she may have gotten this infection, but the possibilities are endless. She could have gotten it from playground equipment at the local park, or an even better possibility is at her school. The doctors debated on whether or not they should admit her to the hospital, but they decided to send her home and see how the antibiotics helped. Personally, I have several problems with their decision to do this. I don’t think some doctors take into account a lot of other factors when they make these decisions. For instance, she has 3 other brothers and sisters they could easily get infected, she sucks her thumb which will make it incredibly hard for the infection to stay topical, and not to mention her poor mom, she works like a maniac to eradicate the germs all day long. I have been keeping my distance because the last thing in the world I need at the moment is MRSA Staph infection. I haven’t even gotten to see her for her birthday, which is not like me at all.
My cousin’s son got a Staph infection while they were on vacation at the lake last year. He came incredibly close to dying. He was extremely ill for an entire month. He was in and out of the hospital and had taken every kind of powerful antibiotic you can imagine. I have heard the best three ways of preventing this kind of infection is 1.) Wash your hands regularly. 2.) Drink tons of water, that helps to flush out bacteria. 3.) Never leave open wounds or cuts exposed.
I hope this doesn’t traumatize my niece, she has such a sweet, gentle spirit. Not only does she have to stay trapped inside the house until all of this clears up, nobody can go and visit her. I know that a loving visit from Auntie Jen Jen would cut her recovery time in half.
MRSA is an extremely contagious infection -- my wife witnesses this on a daily basis at the hospital. There are stories of little 3 month olds with MRSA abscesses on their labia and other private places. I think your sentiments are right, she should almost be put in isolation away from her siblings because chances are, she will spread it to them. Also keep in mind that once you have it you always have it. It can lie dormant until there is an opportunity for it to "infest" something like an insect bite or cut.
ReplyDeleteI very sorry to hear about this. Matt is right about always having staph but the thing is everybody has staph in there body. Hopefully She will get better so.
ReplyDelete