Windows 7 Replaces Vista
I am a self-professed computer snob. I'm not proud of it, but at least I admit it. I have been a devout Apple user for years. This will never change, I am quite certain of that. When Microsoft introduced the operating system Vista a few years back, I was excited to see them fall flat on their face. It was a fairly horrible OS, and that wasn't just my opinion. The majority of PC users I knew all hated Vista and promptly downgraded their OS just so they wouldn't be forced to use it. Naturally, I don't like seeing my friends unhappy or frustrated, so I'll admit I was happy to read about Microsoft launching a much better OS and providing a better solution than Vista.
I probably don't have enough user experience to properly criticize Windows Vista, but the few times I had to use it, I was disappointed. The interface was confusing and all over the place, seemed like it was hard to navigate and the start-up process was entirely too lengthy. Apparently, I wasn't alone in my complaints. According to this article, "Microsoft shared it's earliest plans, sought input, and held regular meetings with the PC makers. In addition, it dedicated engineering teams to work with each of the biggest computer makers to help them work through any issues specific to their designs." I think it was a smart idea to work closely with the computer manufacturers, and exchange thoughts and ideas about how they could improve both of their products. Besides, you can't really operate one without the other. You can't navigate a computer without an operating system and you wouldn't need an operating system if computers didn't exist. One of the major complaints Microsoft had with these PC companies is, "The vast amounts of pre-installed software that they were shipping on consumer machines, so-called 'crapware' were slowing down systems and hurting the PC's image." This is exactly what I was referring to earlier. By the time you get your PC there's so much anti-virus, anti-spyware, update this, update that, that it takes forever to even turn your computer on. Sometimes more is just more. You don't need 3 media players on your computer, you just need one really efficient one.
If you're a fan of Windows XP and are a afraid to upgrade because of possible compatibility issues. Don't worry. Microsoft has thought ahead. As stated in this CNN.com article, "Addition of an 'XP Mode'--an option that allows Windows 7 users to run a free, virtualized copy of Windows XP to run older applications that aren't compatible with newer operating systems. In some cases, one incompatible program was keeping businesses from even considering a move off Windows XP."
The most important thing Microsoft has done is admit Vista was imperfect. Tami Reller, the VP in charge of the business side of Windows has said, "Microsoft's now-bendable ear really is a different way of doing business. We have become very good listeners over the past several years. We are imperfect human beings, but we have become very good listeners." I think that's all any consumer can ask for, and that's improvement. Microsoft is aware that Vista was a catastrophe, but they listened to complaints and suggestions and have released a better operating system that people will be pleased with.
I can honestly say I will never be one of their customers, but I'm glad they have resolved their Vista issue. I'm hoping this will spark more healthy competition between Microsoft and Apple. This will only force Mac to build computers that are better and faster, as well as provide excellent operating systems.
I probably don't have enough user experience to properly criticize Windows Vista, but the few times I had to use it, I was disappointed. The interface was confusing and all over the place, seemed like it was hard to navigate and the start-up process was entirely too lengthy. Apparently, I wasn't alone in my complaints. According to this article, "Microsoft shared it's earliest plans, sought input, and held regular meetings with the PC makers. In addition, it dedicated engineering teams to work with each of the biggest computer makers to help them work through any issues specific to their designs." I think it was a smart idea to work closely with the computer manufacturers, and exchange thoughts and ideas about how they could improve both of their products. Besides, you can't really operate one without the other. You can't navigate a computer without an operating system and you wouldn't need an operating system if computers didn't exist. One of the major complaints Microsoft had with these PC companies is, "The vast amounts of pre-installed software that they were shipping on consumer machines, so-called 'crapware' were slowing down systems and hurting the PC's image." This is exactly what I was referring to earlier. By the time you get your PC there's so much anti-virus, anti-spyware, update this, update that, that it takes forever to even turn your computer on. Sometimes more is just more. You don't need 3 media players on your computer, you just need one really efficient one.
If you're a fan of Windows XP and are a afraid to upgrade because of possible compatibility issues. Don't worry. Microsoft has thought ahead. As stated in this CNN.com article, "Addition of an 'XP Mode'--an option that allows Windows 7 users to run a free, virtualized copy of Windows XP to run older applications that aren't compatible with newer operating systems. In some cases, one incompatible program was keeping businesses from even considering a move off Windows XP."
The most important thing Microsoft has done is admit Vista was imperfect. Tami Reller, the VP in charge of the business side of Windows has said, "Microsoft's now-bendable ear really is a different way of doing business. We have become very good listeners over the past several years. We are imperfect human beings, but we have become very good listeners." I think that's all any consumer can ask for, and that's improvement. Microsoft is aware that Vista was a catastrophe, but they listened to complaints and suggestions and have released a better operating system that people will be pleased with.
I can honestly say I will never be one of their customers, but I'm glad they have resolved their Vista issue. I'm hoping this will spark more healthy competition between Microsoft and Apple. This will only force Mac to build computers that are better and faster, as well as provide excellent operating systems.
Macs are already the most superior computers out there, but i will admit I am a PC guy. I hate following mainstream, click-ish items but after buying one of the Apple iphones, I just may have to switch.
ReplyDelete