ITunes U is Amazing

In the past few weeks, few things have conjured up as much personal excitement, as the launch of iTunes U has. This is an amazing addition to iTunes, and it will not only provide you with hours of enjoyment, it will also make you smarter.

If you are unfamiliar to iTunes U, let me give you a brief description. It's basically an online media store that different universities can use to broadcast lectures and other information online, and it's free for everybody, not just students at those respective schools. It's amazing, let me tell you! For example, in my Art Appreciation class we are discussing ancient Rome and their contributions to modern day society. Fascinated by the topic, I typed "ancient Rome" into iTunes U search and I got many results. I started watching the seminar entitled "Temples of Republican Rome," as that was the seminar best relating to my current studies. I was able to gather a lot more information than was covered in the lecture, and I also was able to retain it. Since the information is presented in video form and is narrated by someone you are able to learn through 2 methods; visual and auditory. They offer lectures and videos and just about any topic you can imagine. I think it's great that technology allows so may people the ability to learn that may not have had the opportunity before.

Just a few highlights on the iTunes U homepage at the moment are seminars from UC Berkely, Brown University, MIT, Oxford University, and even Missouri State University. That's right, even local universities are catching onto the iTunes U craze. Imagine you are taking Intro to Philosophy and your professor just gave a lecture on mind and body dualism, and now you are completely lost. Now you have more options than just going to the Learning Center. You could go to iTunes U type "mind and body dualism" into search and watch lectures from professors that teach at some of the best universities in the world. This article pointed out, " That means those whose budget won't stretch to a two-year MBA can stimulate the experience at home--or at work, in the gym, or anywhere else they choose. And even better for money-conscious learners, the iTunes U content can all be downloaded free of charge." One point I would like to make is that if you have an MP3 jack in your car, you can learn or force your children to learn as you zip on down the road.

Many schools have recognized that posting lectures and other materials on iTunes U has other benefits. Vanessa Klein, project manager for iTunes U, told CNN, "It's a good marketing tool, not as publicity but to really show people what we are providing. You can watch a lecture, learn a lot, and think 'I wish I could be there.' The idea is to show what you could learn if you were at this place." It's a great idea to show people upfront what their money will buy them, and it's also a great visual for parents, as they are the ones footing the bill the majority of the time.

If you haven't had time to check-out iTunes U, I highly recommend you do so immediately. It's amazing, and a must have "pocket tool" for any student struggling to survive their university experience. I have just started using it and can already tell it will be used many more times in my college years.

Comments