Publicity Prize, Maybe...

It was announced this morning that President Barack Obama has been awarded the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize. For those of you, like myself, who had certainly heard of the Nobel Peace Prize but wasn't exactly sure how they came about or what they meant, here is a link for you that gives a short yet direct explanation. The CNN.com article is a summary of Obama's win and reasoning behind why he was selected as this year's winner.

When I learned he had been awarded the prize, I thought it was great. But I love when an American wins any title. That's just me. If I'm being honest, I would have to argue that this award seems a little premature and he's probably not as deserving as many others are. I'm not the most informed Nobel Peace Prize person in the world, but I do know of a few winners and nominees in recent history and they deserved winning. The first being Paul Hewson. Don't know who he is? Sure you do, you just know him as Bono. That's right, the lead singer for U2 has been nominated 3 separate times; in 2003, 2005 and 2006. He has be an integral part of providing relief in Africa and an advocate for third-world debt relief. his philanthropic resumé is about 10 miles long. The next major name our generation can link to the Nobel Peace Prize is former Vice President Al Gore, he won the prize in 2007. I think everybody has seen his documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." If you haven't, you really should. It's eye opening. Former President Al Gore had been compiling data and working on this project for 30+ years. He was awarded this prize for basically raising awareness about climate-change, the effects our pollution has had on Mother Earth and what we have to look forward to in the years to come. Scary stuff. My point is that I don't think it's entirely justified bestowing this award upon Barack Obama, not yet anyway.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee released a statement saying, "Obama was selected not for substantive accomplishments, but for his 'vision' and inspiring 'hope' at the beginning of his presidency." No wonder why so many foreigners hate us Americans. We continually steal their thunder and are usually given something we don't entirely deserve. I don't think he should have been given this award for what he might do or hopes to accomplish. The Nobel Peace Prize should be awarded to somebody that has already done something incredible and awe-inspiring.

A White House spokesman said, "Obama will donate the roughly $1.4 million award to charity." Hopefully, the good news is that needy people will benefit from his win. I'll be curious to see which charities get donations.

My intentions of selecting this article were not to bash on President Obama. I don't even like to post political stories. I'm just an advocate for fairness and this is one instance where "Obama accolades" were not warranted. Maybe next year he will win again and this time truly deserve it.

Comments