Sad Mac :(
Well, it’s official…I have done the stupidest thing in the history of world. I didn’t “back-up,” and have officially lost my photographic universe. Goodbye family vacation pictures, goodbye to my backpacking through Europe pictures, goodbye to treasured pictures of my nieces and nephews. It was all gone in a flash. The sad part is that I knew better. Buying a new external hard drive had been on my To Do List for weeks. With everyday that passed, I thought to myself, “You HAVE GOT TO buy that tomorrow.” Well, I never got around to it.
After it happened, I think I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that happened to me of all people. After all, this is something that happens in movies or to Carrie Bradshaw. Who could ever forget when the “sad Mac” shows up on Carrie’s Macbook and she loses everything. She rushes to the nearest tech store for help (as did I) and is told they need to keep the laptop for observation to see if anything can be “recovered.” It was then that I had a revelation. I could either leave my Powerbook (that’s right, not a MacBook Pro) with someone I didn’t know, or I could cash in a favor from a tech savvy friend.
I called upon my friend Cody, who works for the all-knowing tech giant Google. During a crisis, you always feel more comfortable with someone you know and trust. After I explained the situation to my friend, I received a different reaction than what I expected. He came unglued…he could NOT believe I could have done something so stupid. I was hoping to be coddled a little, but a true friend will always kick your ass when it needs to be kicked. Luckily, he is a complete genius. If anyone will be able to recover anything, it will be him. Honestly, I could care less about anything on my laptop, EXCEPT for my pictures. I have been lucky enough to travel to all sorts of cool places and it’s like all of those memories have been erased. I know the pictures are in my memory, but it’s just not the same. Someone tried to comfort me by saying, “Well, you know, it’s not like you can take it with you.” As if I was going to die tomorrow or something. I suppose I could, and I recognize that pictures are not the most important thing in life, but jeeze louise people…let’s be a little more compassionate.
I sent my laptop to CA via FedEx to my friend, that will most certainly be granted sainthood anyday now. I am praying that he will be able to restore my entire life in a few days. I’m just soooooo mad at myself for not doing something so small to protect something that is so important to me. The moral of this story is to BACK-UP people. Don’t put it off like me, because let me assure you…it DOES happen ☹
After it happened, I think I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that happened to me of all people. After all, this is something that happens in movies or to Carrie Bradshaw. Who could ever forget when the “sad Mac” shows up on Carrie’s Macbook and she loses everything. She rushes to the nearest tech store for help (as did I) and is told they need to keep the laptop for observation to see if anything can be “recovered.” It was then that I had a revelation. I could either leave my Powerbook (that’s right, not a MacBook Pro) with someone I didn’t know, or I could cash in a favor from a tech savvy friend.
I called upon my friend Cody, who works for the all-knowing tech giant Google. During a crisis, you always feel more comfortable with someone you know and trust. After I explained the situation to my friend, I received a different reaction than what I expected. He came unglued…he could NOT believe I could have done something so stupid. I was hoping to be coddled a little, but a true friend will always kick your ass when it needs to be kicked. Luckily, he is a complete genius. If anyone will be able to recover anything, it will be him. Honestly, I could care less about anything on my laptop, EXCEPT for my pictures. I have been lucky enough to travel to all sorts of cool places and it’s like all of those memories have been erased. I know the pictures are in my memory, but it’s just not the same. Someone tried to comfort me by saying, “Well, you know, it’s not like you can take it with you.” As if I was going to die tomorrow or something. I suppose I could, and I recognize that pictures are not the most important thing in life, but jeeze louise people…let’s be a little more compassionate.
I sent my laptop to CA via FedEx to my friend, that will most certainly be granted sainthood anyday now. I am praying that he will be able to restore my entire life in a few days. I’m just soooooo mad at myself for not doing something so small to protect something that is so important to me. The moral of this story is to BACK-UP people. Don’t put it off like me, because let me assure you…it DOES happen ☹
My other half and I backed up our computers with the Carbonite off-site hard-drive copy service. We've got all the baby pictures on the computers in digital images, from the first pictures in the hospital, to the videos of him scrambling around crawling. If we lost those, we'd be totally devastated.
ReplyDelete