Oddball Entrance Essays

Okay, I admit it...this is a complete oddball news article, but this is what grabbed my attention. Besides, you can't write about health care reform all the time. In fact, I try to write about that as little as possible. It looks like some universities are stretching the boundaries with their required essay portion of entrance applications. This article lists the top 10 weirdest questions being asked, I have noted my top 3 from that list.

My favorite essay question is being asked by the University of Pennsylvania and it ranks #10 on the list, "You have just completed your 300-page autobiography. Please submit page 217." I love this question because it forces you to think creatively. The university's Admissions Board were probably bored to tears. They read thousands of these essays every year, not only would this help in keeping their interest piqued, it has a way of weeding out the weak. If a potential student couldn't answer this question creatively, there's probably not a high chance for their survival at such a competitive university. I love the randomness of the page number. It would be at a very climactic point in the book. When you think about, the possibilities are endless.

My second favorite question is #9 and it is asked by the University of Chicago, "How did you get caught? (Or not caught, as the case may be)." The writer of this article offered a little insight about this question, "I had to include another UChicago one--they're just so odd. This university likes to use offbeat questions because it draws in a different kind of student--a bit eclectic and intellectual--which is just what Chicago is looking for." I like it for the simple fact that it's simple and real. We have all done things we probably should not have, and we either were caught or not caught. Maybe it's the university's way of encouraging honesty. Besides, the older you get the more you realize that its not about what you have done in your past, it's about the lessons you learned from that mistake. It's a cliché statement, but very true.

The last question I chose is another one from the University of Chicago, "How do you feel about Wednesday?" That's it! That's all the question consists of. With so many hoops to jump through, you would really have to have a strong desire to attend this school . The good thing about this question is that it's completely vague. You could make up anything. As a matter of fact, it sounds like this school would appreciate responses with humor and randomness.

A lot of people think that high school students are under enormous amounts of stress to succeed academically. I would agree with that, but I also think it's important to "break the mold" and challenge prospective students to be creative and prove their dedication to these schools. College isn't only about science and math, it's important to showcase your creativity and show that you know how to separate yourself from the crowd. The questions are odd, but sometimes a little odd is a good thing.

Comments