Adam Lambert Sparks Controversy At The AMA's
I am a little surprised that Thanksgiving vacation has been filled with banter surrounding Adam Lambert. It's surprising because most people don't even know who he is. If you haven't seen his recent performance on the American Music Awards, you should watch it on YouTube just to understand why people have been debating it. It was more than a little shocking, and I'm a pretty hard person to shock. I guess I just didn't think he would push the envelop so far the first time around. This article on CNN.com discusses the controversy.
Whether or not you like this guy, you have to admit that he definitely knows how to cause controversy. This article states, "He admitted that he got a little carried away at the awards show, but said that none of his risqué dance moves were planned in advance. 'I do see how people got offended, and that was not my intention. My intention was to interpret the lyrics of my song and have a good time with it.'" Personally, I don't believe any of that for a second. His performance at the AMA's was scheduled the night before his debut CD release, of course the scandal was intended and dance moves had been rehearsed. Selling albums these days is no easy task. People who have been in the business for many years struggle to sell records. I can understand why he would want to create some drama in hopes of sparking album sales.
The issue that people are having is how he decided to create his dramatic flair. His Sunday night AMA performance, "simulated oral sex with a dancer and a gay kiss with his male keyboardist." Obviously, there was quite the backlash following his performance, "ABC, the network that aired the awards show, received more than 1500 complaints and Lambert's follow-up performance on Good Morning America." CBS quickly seized their opportunity by immediately booking Adam Lambert to perform live on their show and take question from the audience following his performance. He told CBS that much of the uproar over his AMA performance is because he is a gay man. I would completely agree with that statement. There is also a hugs double standard concerning 2 women kissing on television VS. 2 men kissing on television. Many applauded Madonna and Britney Spears for kissing during their performance, this isn't much different. Who cares if they are more well known? It's still same-sex kissing on television.
The whole thing seems a little ridiculous to me. I don't think the man was setting out to make some huge political statement, he was wanting to boost record sales. I have a sneaking suspicion that Adam Lambert may be giving his publicist a raise in the near future.
Whether or not you like this guy, you have to admit that he definitely knows how to cause controversy. This article states, "He admitted that he got a little carried away at the awards show, but said that none of his risqué dance moves were planned in advance. 'I do see how people got offended, and that was not my intention. My intention was to interpret the lyrics of my song and have a good time with it.'" Personally, I don't believe any of that for a second. His performance at the AMA's was scheduled the night before his debut CD release, of course the scandal was intended and dance moves had been rehearsed. Selling albums these days is no easy task. People who have been in the business for many years struggle to sell records. I can understand why he would want to create some drama in hopes of sparking album sales.
The issue that people are having is how he decided to create his dramatic flair. His Sunday night AMA performance, "simulated oral sex with a dancer and a gay kiss with his male keyboardist." Obviously, there was quite the backlash following his performance, "ABC, the network that aired the awards show, received more than 1500 complaints and Lambert's follow-up performance on Good Morning America." CBS quickly seized their opportunity by immediately booking Adam Lambert to perform live on their show and take question from the audience following his performance. He told CBS that much of the uproar over his AMA performance is because he is a gay man. I would completely agree with that statement. There is also a hugs double standard concerning 2 women kissing on television VS. 2 men kissing on television. Many applauded Madonna and Britney Spears for kissing during their performance, this isn't much different. Who cares if they are more well known? It's still same-sex kissing on television.
The whole thing seems a little ridiculous to me. I don't think the man was setting out to make some huge political statement, he was wanting to boost record sales. I have a sneaking suspicion that Adam Lambert may be giving his publicist a raise in the near future.
I too find it ridiculous. I mean in todays world in it really uncommon to see to people of the same sex kissing? Go to an Wal-Mart on a Friday night and you can see most of the actions that Lambert did within the first 30 minutes you spend there. He may of crossed the line with some of the different demographics but who cares. You can never make everyone happy.
ReplyDelete