Opposite Wallets Attract

I found my article at CNN.com http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/25/pf/spendthrift_tightwad/index.htm?postversion=2009082512 . This is probably not the most newsworthy article to be found online, but I think it's a very interesting look at why people tend to be drawn to individuals that share conflicting financial ideals.

I was drawn to this article because I could identify with it. Practically, everyone I know that is married has opposing ideas on what their incomes should be put towards. For some it's gadgets and gizmos and others it's highlights and facials. What was so interesting about this study is that it focuses on spouses and their "opposing emotional reactions toward spending." How do you feel when you spend money and more importantly how does your spouse feel? I think it raises a valid point that people are drawn to others that will balance out their flaws whether or not they recognize it.

Naturally, I agree with the fact that you should discuss finances before you walk down the aisle. If you are putting more effort into organizing place cards than talking to your future spouse about salaries, budgets or future financial obligations, you shouldn't be too surprised when you are getting divorced 18 months later. Everyone has a "financial ghost" or two...but it's how you communicate these problems and resolve them with the person you are spending eternity with.

We should all be so lucky to find the right person that balances out all of out flaws and miscalculations. I think the main component this article is missing is the love factor. We can't always help who we fall in love with. We can be responsible humans that treat everyone with decency and honesty. According to this article I am 100% a "spendthrift." I don't think I would ever intentionally seek out a "tight wad" but then again, stranger things have happened.


Comments

  1. Odd...my husband and I are both "tightwads."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are my parents and they have been married 40 years. I think tightwads work best in pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is funny - to me. My husband, of 22 years, and I, we spend money like there is no tomorrow. Of course that is, AFTER we have paid our bills. When we were much much younger, we had no idea how to control our spending, and we fought ALOT because we never had money to pay the bills since we were always out having fun. We have finally found that balance, and we seldom argue over finances any more.

    Also, as for the "opposing emotional reactions" to spending - I say communicate, communicate communicate. If you can talk about your problems, be it financial or otherwise, you can almost always come to an agreement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment