Mrs. Clean, Mrs. Clean

Well, it’s just about that time again. Spring has nearly sprung and all I can think about is that yearly ritual that nearly kills me and always breaks my back. That time of year being spring cleaning, of course. I love the concept of spring cleaning. The only drawback is the hard work that it entails.

I keep a fairly clean house, but my clean house involves a few illusions. Let’s just say that there may or may not be several drawers that are crammed full of junk and random clutter. I’m not a dirty person, I just severely need help in the organization department. If someone could come to my house for the weekend and help me decide what needs to be purged and what stays, I think my life would be much easier. Over the years I have kept way too many things for sentimental reasons. I have the right intentions, but the problem is that I don’t want to end up like my parents. They have saved everything and literally have an enormous warehouse full of their junk. My parents are in their mid-sixties and the running joke is that my brothers and I will inherit these “treasures.” Decades full of their junk invade this warehouse. I am estimating that it would take another few decades for me to sort through this junk. The other solution would be to write to a HGTV reality show to help with this disaster. The task seems daunting and completely overwhelming.

Once a year I slip on a new pair of crisp, yellow Playtex gloves and get to scrubbing. Everything get washed, everything gets scrubbed, and most importantly everything gets disinfected. This is my way of eradicating the germs for the entire year. A cleansing process that makes it easier to take deep breaths. The process takes a good long week. Not a surface goes untouched. I even move the refrigerator, washer and dryer. Not to toot my own horn, but I could probably charge a lot of money for this service, I’m that good! Everything smells so clean and fresh. There is no better feeling that taking a peek around and noticing your hard work. I must admit that the first person to make a mess, or even suggest that I dirty my kitchen to cook them dinner, gets a very dirty look!

I will probably spend my spring break doing spring cleaning. I’m not going anywhere fun this break, and can’t justify spending my break on the couch catching up on Project Runway…or can I??? If I waste my break I will only regret that I didn’t spend the time cleaning and purging. Besides, Tim Gunn would want me to “make it work!”

Comments