Neglegent Parents Spark an Australian Controversy.

A child's death in Sydney, Australia has sparked controversy over parental obligations in relationship with homeopathic medicine. A husband and wife were recently convicted of manslaughter for killing their 9 month-old daughter, Gloria. The parents were strong believers in homeopathic remedies and when they refused common, Western medicine treatments, the end result was their daughter's death.

As someone who suffers from eczema, severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis, I could relate with the parents support for natural remedies and homeopathic medicine. Sometimes, they are the only solutions that offer cures. However, their daughter had major health problems and as parents, it's your duty and obligation to ensure your child's health and safety. When their daughter was 4 month-old, she developed a severe case of eczema. The parents never even consulted a skin specialist to exhaust all possible solutions for helping their daughter. Her health progressively got worse and her normally black hair turned to white, that's just how sick she became. If the parents couldn't recognize this as being a huge warning sign that their daughter was seriously ill, I question their sanity and not only their rights as parents but rights as decent human beings. Gloria eventually developed malnutrition and began getting infections in her blood, the infections entered her body through her eczema sores. When her parents finally did take her to a conventional hospital, it was essentially too late. The infection had spread to her eyes and it was so severe that it had started to melt her corneas. So incredibly heartbreaking and hard to believe that parents could act so selfishly and be so evil to their own daughter. I felt like what they did to her was killing her slowly through tortuous measures.

The New South Wales Supreme Court ordered the father, Thomas Sam, to serve 6 years in jail, with a maximum sentence of 8 years. The mother, Manju, was dealt a similar sentence; to serve at least 4 years in jail with a maximum sentence of 5 years and 4 months. A Supreme Court Justice who sentenced the pair said, " It was clear homeopathy wasn't sufficient for dealing with Gloria's severe eczema, and there was a 'wide chasm' between her parents' approach and the action a reasonable parent would have taken."

I was shocked the parents got such a light sentencing. What they did to that child was evil, in my opinion. If you're a parent and your child becomes that ill, you do everything in your power to save their life. You don't sit around and wait for your child's disease to become progressively worse before you seek medical attention, homeopathic or conventional. I sincerely hope that if anything positive can come from this story, it's awareness.

Being a parent is hard word and it's a selfless act to be a good mom or dad. You don't always get to do what's convenient and what fits into your life schedule. Your life revolves around your child and their health, safety and happiness. When you compromise any of those in your child's life, chances are you are an unfit and unstable parent. I hope people are able to learn from this story and a child's life that may be in danger, can now be saved.


Comments

  1. This is so sad. I agree with using natural medicines too, but like you said those don't always work. I think that their sentencing was a little light also. Hopefully they are monitered after they get out so that another catastrophe won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awful that Gloria's story has to end like that. I think there is a lot of merit in using natural remedies, but this doesn't sound like it was the right situation to try them out. I agree that the sentencing seems very light for the parents. I think they should get worse than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am going to take the un-popular road here, and say that we don't know the whole story here. I don't want to make a judgement about whether her parents deserve a tougher senence or not without more information. Remember that anyone with any agenda can put any spin on an article. Most liely y'all are right and the parents were neglectful, but we just don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment